- Widely published flash fiction and short story author, and have won (or been placed) in competitions including BBC National Short Story Award, Bridport Prize, Royal Society of Literature Prize.
- Debut flash fiction collection All That Is Between Us (Ad Hoc Fiction, 2019) has been critically acclaimed by Kathy Fish, Meg Pokrass, Nuala O’Connor, Angela Readman, David Gaffney etc. Shortlisted for a 2020 Saboteur Award.
- Short story course tutor for UK-based publisher Comma Press.
- Guest lectured on undergraduate university courses in Bath and Oxford.
- Run workshops at the Flash Fiction Festival and for National Flash Fiction Day in the UK.
- Panelist/guest at live literary festival events on writing craft and flash fiction.
- Former Guest Editor for the A3 Review literary magazine and flash fiction competition judge.
- Short Fiction competition judge including for Bath Flash Fiction Award, NFFD in UK and New Zealand and for the Phare Literary Magazine WriteWords contest.
About My courses
My aim is to facilitate and support writers to create flash and short fiction pieces they can develop and get published, through innovative writing exercises and an emphasis on reading and analysis of existing texts.
Most courses are aimed at flash and short fiction writers (from novices/early career writers through to more experienced published authors). I currently use a web-based platform (Mighty Networks) to host the courses, not Facebook.
There are regular discounted places for writers from marginalised or low income backgrounds. Please use the contact form below to register your interest in booking a place on future courses.
New Course – Five MODULES OVER FIVE weeks. starts 4th Oct 2021.
SOLD OUT – CONTACT ME VIA THE FORM BELOW IF YOU WISH TO BE PUT ON THE MAILING LIST FOR DETAILS OF UPCOMING COURSES!
Following the success of the previous course, I am running a slightly more concise version, starting on Monday, 4th October 2021. As previously this will be a relaxed and supportive course, allowing writers plenty of time to complete writing assignments, but providing enough structure to keep you focused on improving your writing style and technique.
There will be five modules, each with a writing task, to be completed every week. Where applicable, writing drafts will receive feedback from course tutor and peers. There will also be analysis and discussion on a series of Study Stories (using examples of great short fiction). Access to the website Chat Room will enables those taking part to treat the course like an online writing group for exchange of ideas, information, submissions news etc.
This is an asynchronous course, with no Zoom based classroom sessions, so you can fit it around your schedules.
Praise for the March-May 2021 long course:
- “An incredible two months of writing, reading and exchanging stories. I feel like I have a much clearer idea of the areas in my writing that I need to work on…”
- “It’s been a fantastic course, not only for the amount of wisdom and practical advice shared, but also for the chance to meet so many talented writers and see their work up close.”
- “Thank you…for the structure and pace and wisdom, feedback and encouragement, and also for making the scary blank page, less blank and less scary.”
Cost is £170 (or equivalent in your local currency). If you want to book a place now, please fill in the contact form below to let me know you would like to grab one of the remaining places.
Feedback from previous courses
“Your prompts have been unique and inspiring. Your feedback has been the right mix of gentle and nudging. You’ve a keen insight for improving pieces in ways that weren’t always obvious to me. I appreciate your time and expertise and I would definitely take this workshop again.”
“This course was refreshingly different. Cleverly thought out and planned. It felt like a real community of supportive writers. I would highly recommend this course.”
“The course website was excellent and easy to navigate…it worked brilliantly. Best course I’ve taken in terms of content.”
“I found the whole thing incredibly motivating and useful…really changed the way I write and ultimately view my own writing process, so thank you for that! Also, the info on editing was really useful too…a bit of a game-changer to be honest. I had really high expectations for this course and it did not disappoint in the slightest!”
“Three flash fictions emerged from a week’s course which is unheard of for me. This is a very focused course that gives you a toolkit to write freely and pushes you out of your comfort zone. I would definitely do another of your courses.”
“The level of attention you paid to making the exercises challenging and meaningful, to me is superb…I very much appreciated the level of excellence in what and how you presented everything.”