- Widely published flash fiction and short story author, and have won (or been placed) in competitions including BBC National Short Story Award, Bridport Prize, Royal Society of Literature Prize.
- Debut flash fiction collection All That Is Between Us (Ad Hoc Fiction, 2019) has been critically acclaimed by Kathy Fish, Meg Pokrass, Nuala O’Connor, Angela Readman, David Gaffney etc. Shortlisted for a 2020 Saboteur Award.
- Short story course tutor for UK-based publisher Comma Press.
- Guest lectured on undergraduate university courses in Bath and Oxford.
- Run workshops at the Flash Fiction Festival and for National Flash Fiction Day in the UK.
- Panelist/workshop tutor at live literary festival events on writing craft and flash fiction, including Working Class Writers Festival, Exeter Literary Festival.
- Former Guest Editor for the A3 Review literary magazine and flash fiction competition judge.
- Short Fiction competition judge including for Bath Flash Fiction Award, NFFD in UK and New Zealand and for the Phare Literary Magazine WriteWords contest.
My aim is to facilitate and support writers to improve their work and writing process, through innovative writing exercises, feedback exchange and an emphasis on reading and analysis of existing texts. Most courses are aimed at flash and short fiction writers (from novices/early career writers through to more experienced published authors). I currently use a web-based platform (Mighty Networks) to host the courses. There are regular discounted places for writers from marginalised or low income backgrounds. Please use the contact form below to register your interest in booking a place on future courses.
New courses and workshops TBC
Feedback from previous courses
“Your prompts have been unique and inspiring. Your feedback has been the right mix of gentle and nudging. You’ve a keen insight for improving pieces in ways that weren’t always obvious to me. I appreciate your time and expertise and I would definitely take this workshop again.”
“This course was refreshingly different. Cleverly thought out and planned. It felt like a real community of supportive writers. I would highly recommend this course.”
“The course website was excellent and easy to navigate…it worked brilliantly. Best course I’ve taken in terms of content.”
“I found the whole thing incredibly motivating and useful…really changed the way I write and ultimately view my own writing process, so thank you for that! Also, the info on editing was really useful too…a bit of a game-changer to be honest. I had really high expectations for this course and it did not disappoint in the slightest!”
“Three flash fictions emerged from a week’s course which is unheard of for me. This is a very focused course that gives you a toolkit to write freely and pushes you out of your comfort zone. I would definitely do another of your courses.”
“The level of attention you paid to making the exercises challenging and meaningful, to me is superb…I very much appreciated the level of excellence in what and how you presented everything.”