Flash & Short Fiction Courses
NEW DATES! BOOK YOUR PLACE VIA CONTACT FORM AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE.
Flash Dash Microfiction Course
Starts: Saturday 12 September (one week course, plus pop up writing group afterwards)
Where: Online (not Facebook)
What: Got into a writing rut because of Covid19? Missing the camaraderie of other writers? Need a positive jolt of focus and feedback for your flash fiction? Then my Flash Dash Microfiction course might be of interest.
- A great selection of innovative writing exercises and prompts get you back in the writing zone.
- Up to seven days to write and hone your best two microfiction stories ready to post on the course website for feedback.
- Bonus content including craft tips and recommended published stories to analyse.
- Participants are encouraged to create a pop-up writing group for the duration of the course and a limited time beyond, using the course website.
The course aims to help you refocus to your writing through flash fiction writing and create work that will benefit from peer and tutor feedback.
Cost: £65 full price (or equivalent in your local currency).
UPDATE: There is one remaining discounted place (out of two originally) for writers from low income or marginalised groups, including people of colour. Price £32
The Flash Fortnight Course
Start: Monday 19th October (two week course, plus pop-up writing group afterwards)
Where: Online, via a specially designed website (not Facebook)
What: An online course over two weeks which acts as an incubator for new ideas and drafts. Innovative, varied exercises and prompts, and unusual craft themes encourage writers to be bold and take their writing in new directions.
- There are no live sessions or ‘homework’ and no stressful expectations. The course is designed to fit around your individual schedule, though you are encouraged to set targets.
- The course is spread over two weeks to allow you time to write and hone your best pieces to post on the site for peer and tutor feedback.
- An important element of the course is reading and discussing examples of published stories.
- Participants are encouraged to make a pop-up writing group using the course website.
Cost: £120 full price (or equivalent in your local currency).
UPDATE: Both discounted place for writers from low income or marginalised groups, including people of colour, have now gone.
About the writing courses
I run relaxed, supportive online courses that help writers create flash and short fiction pieces they can develop and get published. These courses are a hybrid between an online writing workshop and a ‘pop-up’ writing group. There’s also an emphasis on reading and analysis as a route to improved writing.
Most courses are aimed at flash and short fiction writers (from novices/early career writers through to more experienced published authors). A daily package of prompts and exercises are made available, but writers work to their own schedule and personal targets – there are no stressful deadlines or expectations. I use a website specially designed for online courses which is easy to use and navigate.
There are regular discounted places for writers from marginalised or low income backgrounds. Please use the contact form below to register your interest in booking a place on future courses.
Feedback & praise for previous courses:
“Your prompts have been unique and inspiring. Your feedback has been the right mix of gentle and nudging. You’ve a keen insight for improving pieces in ways that weren’t always obvious to me. I appreciate your time and expertise and I would definitely take this workshop again.”
“This course was refreshingly different. Cleverly thought out and planned. It felt like a real community of supportive writers. I would highly recommend this course.”
“The course website was excellent and easy to navigate…it worked brilliantly. Best course I’ve taken in terms of content.”
“I found the whole thing incredibly motivating and useful…really changed the way I write and ultimately view my own writing process, so thank you for that! Also, the info on editing was really useful too…a bit of a game-changer to be honest. I had really high expectations for this course and it did not disappoint in the slightest!”
“Three flash fictions emerged from a week’s course which is unheard of for me. This is a very focused course that gives you a toolkit to write freely and pushes you out of your comfort zone. I would definitely do another of your courses.”
“The level of attention you paid to making the exercises challenging and meaningful, to me is superb…I very much appreciated the level of excellence in what and how you presented everything.”
I am an award-winning author, with a background in running fiction writing workshops online and in-person. In summary:
- Widely published flash fiction and short story author, having been published in more than 50 anthologies and literary magazines, and won (or been placed) in competitions including BBC National Short Story Award, Bridport Prize, Royal Society of Literature Prize.
- My debut flash collection All That Is Between Us (Ad Hoc Fiction, 2019) received critical acclaim from Kathy Fish, Meg Pokrass, Nuala O’Connor, Angela Readman, David Gaffney etc.
- Short story course tutor for UK-based publisher Comma Press.
- Guest lectured on undergraduate university courses in Bath and Oxford.
- Run workshops at the Flash Fiction Festival and for National Flash Fiction Day in the UK.
- Panelist/guest at live literary festival events on writing craft and flash fiction.
- Former Guest Editor for the A3 Review literary magazine and flash fiction competition judge.