K.M. Elkes is an author, editor and writing tutor based in the West Country, UK. His flash fiction collection All That Is Between Us was published by Ad Hoc Fiction in 2019 and shortlisted for Best Short Story Collection in the 2020 Saboteur Awards.
Individual short stories have won, or been placed, in a number of international writing competitions, including the Manchester Fiction Prize, Royal Society of Literature VS Pritchett Prize, the Bridport Prize, Aesthetica Creative Writing Award and the Bath Short Story Award. He was also longlisted for the BBC National Short Story Award in 2019.
His work has also appeared in literary anthologies and journals, including The Lonely Crowd, Unthology, Mechanic’s Institute Review, Short Fiction Journal and Structo.
He is a short story tutor for Comma Press and also runs online workshops on short fiction. His writing has featured on schools and college curricula in the USA and Hong Kong and has been used by bibliotherapy charity The Reader. In 2019, he was the recipient of an award from Arts Council England. He has an MA Creative Writing (Distinction) from Oxford Brookes University, where he won the Blackwell’s Prize.
As a writer from a rural working class background, his work often reflects marginalised voices and liminal places. He is currently working on a novel and a short story cycle.
Selected Short Story Publications:
- This Is No Vegas: Mechanics Institute Review (Birbeck, UoL, 2019)
- A Notion Of Limbs: Manchester Fiction Prize (2018)
- Ursa Minor: Unthology 10 (Unthank Books, 2018)
- Whale Season: The Lonely Crowd (Issue 8, The Lonely Press, 2017)
- A Punch To The Heart: Short Fiction Journal (2017)
- The Three Kings: Bath Short Story Award Anthology (Brown Dog Books, 2015)
- The Rules of Caketin James: Gem Street – Beyond The Axis (Labello Press, 2015)
- Mary Siobhan McConnelly: Aesthetica Annual (Aesthetica, 2015)
Flash Fiction Information
- Author of the flash fiction collection All That Is Between Us (Ad Hoc Fiction, 2019). Shortlisted for a Saboteur Award 2020.
- Has won or been placed in a number of international flash fiction competitions, including Bath Flash Fiction Award, Reflex Fiction Prize, Fish Publishing Flash Prize and the Bridport Prize.
- His flash stories have been widely published in print and online, including among others: Flash: International Short-short Story Magazine, The Forge Literary Magazine, Litro, Lightship, The Fiction Pool, Fictive Dream, Word Riot, Flashback Fiction, New Flash Fiction Review.
- Included in Best Microfictions anthology 2020.
- Best Short Fictions and Pushcart Prize nominee.