Author – Writing Tutor – Editor
K.M. Elkes is the author of the short fiction collection All That Is Between Us (Ad Hoc Fiction, 2019) which was shortlisted for a Saboteur Award in 2020. Individual short stories have won, or been placed, in several international writing competitions including the Manchester Fiction Prize, Royal Society of Literature VS Pritchett Prize, Fish Publishing Prize and the Bridport Prize. He was longlisted for the BBC National Short Story Award in 2019. His work has appeared in more than 40 literary anthologies and journals, and has featured on school curricula in the USA, India and Hong Kong. He holds an MA in Creative Writing from Oxford Brookes University, where he won the Blackwell’s Prize. A writer from a rural working class background, his work often reflects themes around transience, isolation and family trauma. He is currently working on a novel.
Recent and Upcoming Short Story Publications
- Malago Days: Book of Bristol (Comma Press, due to be published November 2022)
- Game Face: You Are Not Alone, An Anthology of Hope & Isolation (Storgy, 2020)
- This Is No Vegas: Mechanics Institute Review 16 (Birbeck, UoL, 2019)
- A Notion Of Limbs: Manchester Fiction Prize (2018)
- Ursa Minor: Unthology 10 (Unthank Books, 2018)
- Whale Season: The Lonely Crowd (Issue 8, The Lonely Press, 2017)
Flash Fiction Details
- Flash fiction collection All That Is Between Us shortlisted for a Saboteur Award 2020.
- Won or been placed in a number of international flash fiction competitions, including Bath Flash Fiction Award, Reflex Fiction Prize, Fish Publishing Flash Prize and the Bridport Prize.
- Widely published in print and online, including among others: Flash: International Short-short Story Magazine, The Forge Literary Magazine, Litro, Lightship, The Fiction Pool, Fictive Dream, Word Riot, Flashback Fiction, New Flash Fiction Review.
- Included in Best Microfictions anthology 2020.
- Best Short Fictions and Pushcart Prize nominee.