K.M. Elkes is an author, editor and writing tutor based in the West Country, UK. His debut collection All That Is Between Us (Ad Hoc Fiction) was published in 2019.
His short stories have won, or been placed, in a number of international writing competitions, including the Manchester Fiction Prize, Royal Society of Literature VS Pritchett Prize, Fish Publishing Prize, the Bridport Prize, Aesthetica Creative Writing Award and the Bath Short Story Award. He was also longlisted for the BBC National Short Story Award in 2019.
His work has appeared in more than 50 literary anthologies and journals, including The Lonely Crowd, Unthology, Mechanic’s Institute Review, Short Fiction Journal and Structo.
He is a short story tutor for Comma Press and also runs workshops on flash and short fiction. His writing has featured on schools and college curricula in the USA and Hong Kong . In 2019, he was the recipient of an award from Arts Council England.
As a writer from a rural working class background, his work often reflects marginalised voices and liminal places. He is currently working on a novel and a short story cycle.
Debut flash fiction collection ‘All That Is Between Us’, featuring new and previously published short-short stories, is now available in paperback & e-book from Ad Hoc Fiction.
Selected Short Story Publications:
- This Is No Vegas: Mechanics Institute Review 16 (2019)
- A Notion Of Limbs: Manchester Fiction Prize (2018)
- Ursa Minor: Unthology 10 (Unthank Books, 2018)
- Whale Season: The Lonely Crowd Issue 8 (The Lonely Press, 2017)
- A Punch To The Heart: Short Fiction Journal (2017)
- The Three Kings: Bath Short Story Award Anthology (Brown Dog Books 2015)
- The Rules of Caketin James: Gem Street – Beyond The Axis (Labello Press, 2015)
- Mary Siobhan McConnelly: Aesthetica Annual 2015 (Aesthetica, 2015)