K.M. Elkes is an author, editor and journalist based in the West Country, UK. He is the author of the flash fiction collection All That Is Between Us (see below) and his short fiction has won, or been placed, in a number of international writing competitions, including the Manchester Fiction Prize; Fish Publishing Prize, the Bridport Prize, Aesthetica Creative Writing Award and the Bath Short Story Award.
His work has appeared in more than 30 literary anthologies and journals, including The Lonely Crowd, Unthology, Mechanic’s Institute Review, Short Fiction Journal and Structo.
He is a short story tutor for Comma Press and his fiction has also been used on schools and college curricula in the USA and Hong Kong . In 2019, he was the recipient of an award from Arts Council England.
As a writer from a rural working class background, his work often reflects marginalised voices and liminal places. He is currently working on a novel and a short story collection.
Debut flash fiction collection ‘All That Is Between Us’, featuring new and previously published short-short stories, will be published in paperback & e-book by Ad Hoc Fiction on June 22, 2019.
Selected Short Story Publications & Awards:
- This Is No Vegas: Mechanics Institute Review 16 (TBC 2019)
- A Notion Of Limbs: Manchester Fiction Prize (2018)
- Ursa Minor: Unthology 10 (Unthank Books, 2018)
- Whale Season: The Lonely Crowd Issue 8 (2017)
- A Punch To The Heart: Short Fiction Journal (2017)
- The Three Kings: Bath Short Story Award Anthology (Brown Dog Books 2015)
- The Rules of Caketin James: Gem Street – Beyond The Axis (Labello Press, 2015)
- Mary Siobhan McConnelly: Aesthetica Annual 2015 (Aesthetica, 2015)